Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Rainy Day Park Play



Today I met up with some girlfriends at our local playground. It was hot and humid when we arrived. The kids emptied one and a half boxes of Capri Suns and were starting in on the water bottles with in the first 30 minutes. Then the clouds rolled in and blocked the sun and a refreshing breeze helped to cool things down. Before we knew it, it was sprinkling. We decided it was just a light rain and would pass soon so the kids continued to play. Gradually the rain became harder and the other mothers and kids at the park were running to their cars. My girlfriends and I just sat there under the pavilion enjoying the cooler weather and our kids laughed and played in the rain. There was no thunder or lightning so we saw no need to leave.

The park transformed into a water park in a matter of minutes. Puddles formed at the bottom of the slides and Bubs enjoyed seeing how high the water splashed when he hit it. The climbing structures became a ship that was caught in a storm. The shredded tires below them was the dark sea and it held all sorts of deadly creatures they had to get by. It was fun just sitting and listening to them play in the rain.

At one point the rain stopped and we continued talking and enjoying our time. Out of the blue came a deep rumble and the dark clouds rolled in and dumped rain. It came down in sheets. Since the thunder had arrived it was time to load up and head out. As I was standing in the rain unlocking the van doors I was wishing I had the automatic sliding doors or at the very least doors with power locks. By the time we got in the car I was almost just as wet as the kids. It was a great day at the park.

Moral of the story: Don't let a little rain keep you from having a good time at the park. If there is no thunder and lightning enjoy your time.

2 comments:

  1. How fun it is to play in the rain, Things we used to do when I was a kid. But never thought of letting my kids do it. I am glad you guys had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how imagination can run wild in any condition--rain or shine.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?