Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Preparing for a Global Pandemic




This past year the outbreak of the H1N1 (swine) Flu has sparked awareness around the world once again of the possibilities of a global pandemic. I have heard it said that it is not a matter of if, but when a global pandemic will occur. This recent event has made me realize how unprepared I am for such and event to occur. I tried to find out what would happen if a pandemic hit WHO's level 6 and couldn't find anything that specifically mentioned the protocol. One thing I'm fairly certain will happen is a quarantine would take place. Those who are sick will be quarantined as well as the healthy. I'm not sure how long the quarantine would be but let's say 3 months. 3 months would be a pretty reasonable amount of time to find those who are sick and help them. What do you think would happen if word got out that a mandatory quarantine was going to occur?

The stores would be filled with panicked people stocking up on food and water. Chaos will reign. We have seen in natural disasters of the past that the Government isn't always the fastest to respond with food for those with out. I suggest already having a 3 months supply of food on hand. That way you will not have to stress and run to the store and deal with all of the pandemonium.

It would be hard to store a 3 month supply of water but 2 weeks worth is manageable. Plan on storing 1 gallon per day per family member for drinking and cooking.

I was out shopping 2 weeks ago and decided to purchase some more Lysol disinfecting spray and hand sanitizer. I had some for my current needs but not enough for a months worth. Well, everyone had the same idea. The shelves were wiped clean. Plan ahead and have some on hand.

Don't forget first aid and toiletries. If you have medications have extra on hand. Contact solution and feminine supplies might be hard to just go out and get as needed. Plan ahead as much as possible.

For more information on emergency preparedness I recommend visiting Providentliving.org

Remember, "if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear" Doctrine & Covenants 38:30

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?