Your house is full of everyday household heroes, products that have a beneficial secondary use. I have written previously about Vinegar. Baking Soda is also a very handy item to have on hand. The best part is it is inexpensive to purchase. You are probably familiar with baking soda when it comes to baking but here are some other ways you can put your baking soda to use.
- Unclog drains by pouring 1 cup of baking soda followed by 1 cup hot vinegar. Let sit for 30 minutes and then run water.
- Use it as a mouthwash,sorry, no minty fresh breath but you will have less bacteria.
- Clean your toothbrushes, especially after being sick, by soaking them overnight in 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup water solution.
- If you have a grease fire don't dump water on it. Dump baking soda on it to extinguish it.
- Great deodorizer for your freezer or fridge. Open the box and put it in. It will last up to 30 days. You can even purchase specially made boxes for the fridge or freezer.
- Run an empty dishwasher with baking soda to clean up hard water and other buildup.
- Don't want to spend lots of money for expensive jewelry cleaner? Just make a paste out of baking soda and water. It is perfectly safe on gold and silver.
- Help reduce kitty litter odor by putting a layer of baking soda in the bottom of the pan and then pouring the litter on top.
Or, make your own litter by mixing baking soda with 3 inches of sandy clay.
- Relieve bug bites, sunburn, and poison ivy by making a paste and applying it directly to the sore.
- Scrub out your bathtub and sink by sprinkling it on the grime and then wiping with a sponge.
- add 1/4 cup baking soda to the toilet bowl, swirl, and scrub.
- If you don't have any antacids to fight heartburn? Make your own by combining 1/2 tsp. baking soda with 1/2 cup of water.
- If you have cracks in your side walk or drive way sprinkle baking soda to keep weeds at bay.
- baking soda is less corrosive then salt so sprinkle it on your icy side walk.
- Keep ants out of the dog/cat bowl by sprinkling a layer of soda around the bowl.