Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tips for Tackling Laundry


Laundry is one of those things that never goes away. I know that if I get behind it is almost impossible to catch up. The hardest thing for me is finishing the job. By finishing I mean all of the clean clothes are folded and put away. I can get the clothes clean and folded it is the last step of putting away that gets me almost every time. There are 2 ways of doing laundry, you can have a marathon day where all you do is load after load or assign different days for different loads. I personally have a hard time finishing with the marathon day but my sister prefers this way. I prefer to split up laundry throughout the week. Typically, if I'm on top of things, my laundry days look like this:

Mondays- wash the kitchen rags and towels
Tuesdays- wash the kids colors
Wednesdays- wash the adult colors
Thursdays- no laundry because this is my errand day.
Fridays- wash the whites
Saturday- wash the bath towels and rugs.
Sunday- day off.

It doesn't matter how you choose to do your laundry but here are some tips everyone could use.
Laundry baskets- make sure everyone has their own basket for putting dirty clothes in. They also help for putting folded laundry in to carry to the rooms. My kids all share one that is in a central location of the bathroom since that is where most of the clothes end up. My husband and I have 2 baskets in our bathroom, one for colors and one for whites.

Have a basket or bucket in the laundry room for wet items or items to be washed soon. I have a bucket for the rags and a mesh basket for the clothes that inevitably end up downstairs.

Have shelves above the washer and dryer to hold laundry items like soap, fabric softener, and stain remover.

Have a place to hang up clothes that go on hangers immediately after they get out of the dryer. I have an over the door clothes hook.

Create a space to fold laundry and fold it as soon as it comes out of the dryer, this prevents too many wrinkles from forming.

Most importantly, FINISH the laundry by putting it away immediately.
I will have a post next week about stain removers that work. If you have any great ones please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?