All you need to do is a google search for house fires started by candles and you will see what a serious problem this is. In 2002, 18,000 fires were started from candles.
Candles can also burn children and pets who get to close to the flame or wax.
There has been an increase in candle use because they are used for more then just candle lit dinners now. Who can resist having something that will make your home smell like you've been baking all day or that you just walked into a garden?
There is a company that has created a product that eliminates the use of candles but provides the same benefit of decorating with candles and providing great fragrances with out a flame.
The company is called Scentsy and they have created a wick less candle. They use a food-grade petroleum based wax that has a low melt point and can hold a lot of scent. It works by placing the wax in a Scentsy Warmer which uses a 25 watt light bulb to which melts the wax and releases the fragrance. There is no sooty mess, or wick which eliminates the fire hazards associated with candles. The wax does not get hotter than a typical paraffin wax dip so little fingers will not get burned.
In addition to no flame I also like the fact that they have over 80 Scentsy fragrances and over 50 warmers to meet any decorative need. If I want to change the scent I just need to pour the melted wax back into the container it came in, wipe out the warmer with a paper towel, and then add the wax of the fragrance I want. The wax I had previously used can be used again and I don't have to mess with storing a bunch of bulky candles.
If this sounds like a product you would be interested in having or selling then you are in luck. I recently signed up to become an Independent Scentsy Consultant. You can purchase your wick less candles at my Scentsy website. While you are there, check out the business opportunity. I think you will love selling the product just as much as you love owning it. I know I do.