Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

Post Tonsilectomy Advice


I'm currently experiencing my second bout of Strep throat this summer and it is making me think I might need to get my tonsils out. 16 months ago my husband and 6 year old daughter got their tonsils taken out. Thinking about that time makes me cringe at the thought of getting mine out although both of them say they are glad they did it. I did learn a few things from their experience that I'm going to share.



  1. Children have an easier time recovering than adults.

  2. Taking the pain medication every 4 hours or whatever is directed is a must, even if you have to wake up in the middle of the night to take it. So much easier to stay ahead of pain then to catch up.

  3. Keeping the throat moist with water helps because when it dries it gets itchy and hurts.

  4. Don't serve Popsicles-serve ice cream instead. It hurt my family to stick their tongue out to lick the Popsicle and it hurt to suck.

  5. Warm foods hurt. Serve room temperature or cold soft foods.

  6. Drink Ensure or Pediasure if you it hurts too much to eat. You will get some vitamins and nourishment your body needs to recover.

  7. Stay hydrated. To help my daughter be motivated to drink when she didn't want to I would draw a line on the water bottle and when she drank down to that mark I would give her a reward. Rewards included time on the computer, a movie, a new book, etc.

  8. When they tell you to wait 2 weeks or whatever time it is before you can eat harder foods wait that amount of time even if you feel like you can handle it. My husband learned the hard way.

  9. It doesn't matter how many different flavors you make, you will get sick of Jello and pudding by the end of the 2nd day.

  10. Don't schedule tonsillectomies for family members anywhere near your pregnancy due date. I gave birth the day after. Fortunately my Parents were in town for 3 weeks to help out.

  11. Be patient. It takes time for your body to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?