Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Review of Hunts No High Fructose Corn Syrup Ketchup

I will admit that when it comes to selecting foods for my family I'm not one to care if it is organic or not. I read labels when it comes to calories, fat, vitamins, and such but I don't really pay attention to the ingredient list. There has been a movement lately to cut High Fructose Corn Syrup out of foods. I'm not sure I understand why. I haven't really read or researched it. I do know that there are studies saying it is bad for you but there are also studies counter acting that. With that said, I recently tried Hunts Tomato No High Fructose Corn Syrup Ketchup. When it comes to flavor, it has it. It tastes like ketchup to me. I usually only buy Heinz. I do know that I don't like the store brands I have bought in the past but the Hunts tasted great to me.

When looking at the ingredient list and comparing it to Heinz ketchup it looks like Hunts removed the HFCS and added sugar instead.
Both brands have the same amount of sugar grams and sodium. The Hunts has 5 more calories and 1 more total carb.




Really, if you care about the HFCS and don't want it in your food then Hunts is an excellent choice of ketchup. As I sit here typing this I'm tasting both. Heinz is a little thicker but when it comes to flavor I think the Hunts tastes slightly more like tomatoes and Heinz is a little "tangier". I don't even think that is a word so I'm adding it to my dictionary to mean: more tangy.
I think it is time for me to put the ketchup down and do some research on HFCS pros and cons.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?